Monday, September 21, 2009

Steeplechase

I am moving from angry (I resolved the issue!!) to spiritual!



A wonderful woman in my ward has organized a charity even that I am thrilled to help out with.



On Saturday, September 26, 2009 at 7:00 a.m. there will be a 5 mile Temple to Temple Steeplechase. The steeplechase begins at the Oquirrh Mountain Temple and ends at the Jordan River Temple. This is not a race but an opportunity to spend 5 miles of your life helping children in need! It is meant to be a fun walk/run where for everyone of every ability. Children are welcome! Along the route will be the opportunity to reflect upon life and the obstacles we face (I have heard rumors that there will be spiritual opportunities along the way if looked for).



The race is $15 for adults and $10 for youth/children. All finishers will receive a specially-designed key chain medallion. Registration must be completed by September 24 at midnight.



Here is an excerpt from the Cynthia, the race director, regarding the charity to be helped:



"I'd like to tell you a little more about the reason I chose The Christmas Box House charity for our Steeplechase." Through my experiences as a licensed foster parent and as an adoptive mother, I have seen first hand how children in state custody (who are all ready in fragile condition) cope with their ongoing fears, frustrations, and overwhelming turmoil. With amazing strength these children of survival endure their heart-wrenching situations. But they cannot combat their problems alone. Only with heaven's help and the involvement of many caring people working together can each child find what they deserve- permanency and parents-that home of their own. I have learned that taking care of our at-risk children is a complicated concern, deserving of our keen attention and cooperation. Every effort makes a difference."



"The Christmas Box House is dedicated to easing the trauma that these neglected and abused children experience. I am grateful for the opportunity to donate the proceeds of this race to their care."



I have worked with many children from the Christmas Box House and am proud to attend this event. This is one of those organizations that I cannot say enough good of. They have saved many of my precious little children that I have had the opportunity to serve and love.



There will also be an Evening of Music, Art, & Inspiration. I am super excited for this! It will be held Thursday night at 7:00 p.m. at the River Ridge LDS Chapel on 10124 S 1300 W (adjacent to the Jordan River Temple). Featured musicians will be Nathan and Warren Mueller, Alexis Boskovich, and Susan Alldredge (also in my ward and an adoptive mother). There will be an unveiling of Anne Marie Oborn's new painting. Roger and Melanie Hoffman (composers of 'Consider the Lillies of the Field') will be guest speakers. This event is Sunday dress and seating is limited to those 18 years of age and older. There is no cost to attend but additional donations to the Christmas Box House will be accepted at the concert donation table.



Interested in coming to either or both events? Register for the race at http://www.runnercard.com/ and click under road races and look for the Temple to Temple Steeplechase. No RSVP's needed for the benefit concert.



Come support our at-risk kiddos!!

1 comment:

Kristina P. said...

I work for Salt Lake County, and The Christmas Box House is part of our division.

What a great fundraiser! We lost a lot of money from DCFS this year.